Pages

DEAR DIARY: Seasonal Affective Disorder

Oh my, not a very exciting first post on my new blog. But its whats on my mind right now so why not? The winter blues, summer blues - call it what you want. It's Seasonal Affective Disorder. 



Weather often affects people’s moods. Sunlight breaking through clouds can lift our spirits, while a dull, rainy day may make us feel a little gloomy. While noticeable, these shifts in mood generally do not affect our ability to cope with daily life. However, some people are more vulnerable to a type of depression that follows a seasonal pattern. For them, the shortening days of late autumn are the beginning of a type of clinical depression that can last until spring. There is something so heavy, so sad that can come from something as simple as waking up to the dark. Going home when it is dark. And not getting to see the sun at all. It is a difficult feeling to describe but it is a real, physical feeling. A heaviness in the head and heart that won't go away. 


Winter and Seasonal Affective Disorder makes some people want to be alone, which then also makes them lonely. It's a difficult line to walk. As for me, I'm figuring it out. Being good to myself, doing the best I can and trying to strike a balance. 




Remember to be kind, to yourself and others.


xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment